National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS)
Meat and Livestock Australia (MLA) provides market information as part of their National Livestock Reporting Service. Click here for the latest report .
You can also hear the Tamworthreport on the Country Hour on ABC Radio every Monday or Rural Report on ABC New England North West on Tuesday morning.
Off the Rails - Prime Cattle market highlight
The TLSAA also produce a weekly market highlight, updated after each sale. You can read the latest report below and then click on the file at the bottom for a printable (PDF) version.
Alternatively, check the archives page for older Market highlights.
Coming soon - Top prices for 2018
Watch this space for information on the top prices for 2018 for each category sold.
Monday 16th July, 2018
Total yarding = (2300)
Note: Figures in brackets are numbers/prices from our last sale
You know it’s cold when…..
You know it’s cold when one of our top dogs has to resort to wearing a Parramatta coat (in public) to keep warm! That was how we started the day in Tamworth with another big yarding of light and medium weight cattle and cows. After several weeks of gains the market dropped back for all but medium and heavyweight yearling steers with the MLA quoting the best at up to 9c/kg dearer. Some medium and heavy cows also made decent money.
Vealer steers sold to 260c/kg (280c/kg), yearlings to 334c/kg (330c/kg) and grown steers to 278c/kg (315c/kg). Highlights included:
- Angus steers sold by IML on account Hudson made 333c/kg and averaged 307kg/$1023;
- Milk tooth Angus steers sold by LMK on account Roseby Farming Co made 334c/kg and averaged 366kg/$1215;
- Angus steers sold by Pitt on account M & R Gaffney made 334c/kg and averaged 369kg/$1233;
- Angus x steers sold by IML on account Wiemac made 328c/kg and averaged 392kg/$1286;
- Angus steers sold by ELD on account Davidson made 328c/kg and averaged 394kg/$1294;
- Limousin x steers sold by DCM made 314c/kg and averaged 435kg/$1365;
- Angus steers sold by IML on account Somerton Pastoral made 324c/kg and averaged 435kg/$1411;
- Hereford steers (pictured) sold by IML on account Kimberley Grange Pastoral Co made 267c/kg and averaged 556kg/$1479;
- Angus steers sold by PPA on account Charles Azzopardi made 318c/kg and averaged 453kg/$1441. Charolais x steers from the same vendor made 290c/kg and averaged 524kg/$1519; and
- Crossbred steers sold by LMK on account Boydell made 278c/kg and averaged 544kg/$1513;
Vealer heifers sold to 240c/kg (250c/kg), yearlings to 309c/kg (303c/kg) and grown heifers to 280c/kg (278c/kg). Highlights included:
- Beautifully bred, Ben Nevis blood heifers sold by PPA on account Jr & JA Thomas made 269c/kg and averaged 308kg/$830;
- Grass-fed and antibiotic free Angus heifers sold by LMK on account Roseby Farming made 280c/kg and averaged 358kg/$1032;
- Charolais x heifers sold by PPA on account Morgan Etheridge made 290c/kg and averaged 440kg/$1276;
- Milk and 2 tooth Angus heifers (pictured bottom left) sold by LMK on account Boydell made 310c/kg and averaged 431kg/$1332; and
- Brahman heifers sold by PPA on account JA Nixon made 263c/kg and averaged 560kg/$1474.
Cows topped at 249c/kg (251c/kg) for Limousin cows (above right) sold by ELD on account McGilchrist made 248c/kg with the heaviest cow coming back at 684kg/$1704. Other notable sales included:
- Angus cows sold by IML on account P & R Marheine made 235c/kg and averaged 682kg/$1602; and
- Angus cows sold by PPA made 241c/kg and averaged 602kg/$1452.
Bulls topped at 244c/kg (255c/kg) for 600+ kg bulls with a top price of $2935 for a 1222 kg bull sold by Pitt on account D & L Swain, Walcha.
Note: Photos in the written report may differ from those in the website report. All other information is the same.